Monday, December 2, 2013

Fixing the Playroom Gallery Walls

After I raided the playroom gallery walls to decorate Charley’s new bedroom, things were looking a little rough in there.  B.J. kept commenting how sad they looked so I decided to do something about it. 

My plan all along was to create an empty frame gallery for Charley’s (and baby Smallwood’s) creations.  I was envisioning all white frames so the artwork could be the focal point. I scoured some thrift shops for frames to add to my collection.  I found a few that needed a couple coats of white paint, but I still didn’t have enough to create two galleries.  I’ve been loving black and white frames mixed together and since I already had a bunch of black frames on hand, I went in a new direction. 

DSC_0189

I chose to mix already framed pieces with empty frames for interchangeable artwork.  I didn’t purchase anything new for this project except a couple thrift shop frames and some Target dollar spot clothespins.  Basically, I slapped some random things in frames or reused pieces from the old gallery wall and called it a day.  In other words, I needed to get the frames on the wall before I could really decide how I wanted it to look.  That probably sounds backwards, but I needed a starting point.  Now I can tweak things as needed.

DSC_0184

DSC_0186

I attached clothespins to the wall with 3M picture hangers to make changing out artwork super easy.  For the tiny empty frame, I attached the clothespin right to the frame to make as much room as possible.

DSC_0185

DSC_0187

I definitely like the contrast of the black and white frame combination.  Although, I may eventually make them all empty frames for a more uniform look.  We’ll see.

DSC_0188

Charley thoroughly enjoyed this project because she got to be a part of it.  We didn’t want the frames to stay empty for long so she was a busy little artist this weekend. 

DSC_0180

DSC_0183

She looks pretty clean in these pics but it went downhill after 30 minutes of painting.  She went straight from her highchair to the bathtub.  I would say that’s a successful painting day!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment